Thursday 24 January 2013

Critical Analysis

Chase Jarvis

Chase Jarvis is a professional photographer, director, artist and entrepreneur. He currently lives in Colorado. Before becoming a photographer, he had earned a B.A degree of Philosophy. His grandfather passed away and left all of his cameras to his grand children. Chase Jarvis had found interests in photography as he travelled around Europe. He began shooting snowboarders and skiers. Later, he has finally opened his own studio called “Chase Jarvis Photography”. His pictures are sold with the prices from $50 to $50,000. He has photographed for Coca Cola, Volvo, Apple, Microsoft, Columbia Sportswear, REI, Honda, Subaru, Polaroid, Red Bull and Lady Gaga. He is well known for his kinetic, sports style. He also made an Iphone app called “Best Camera”. It allows the users take pictures and choose one of 14 filters. His app also won the Adorama Photography Award at the APPOS Awards. Jarvis has won International Photography Awards in the “Special Effects” category. Chase is also the author of 3 books.



As an amateur photographer who really likes sports photography, I am really into Jarvis’ work. I had watched a lot of his videos about his work online and he is a pretty good photographer in my opinion. He has inspired me to work harder on my photography projects as well as my interests in this art. I am really impressed how he was from the Philosophy graduate to become a professional photographer in such a short time and accidental. In order to be success like Jarvis in photography, he has to be a creative artist, and also a risk taker.  Here are some of his few works that I am really impressed of:

http://www.chasejarvis.com/

 http://www.chasejarvis.com/
http://www.chasejarvis.com/

http://www.chasejarvis.com/

         http://www.chasejarvis.com/

                     http://www.chasejarvis.com/


His works are pretty unique, and carfully edited. Jarvis' works always show a lot of enthusiasm and very sporty. I really the compositions of all of pictures. The themes he chose are closed to people's life and easy to understand at the first look. Every time I watched his behind the scenes videos and after his works are done, he always showed his enthusiasm and happiness into the works, so that whenever I look at his pictures, I feel very happy and joyable.  I really like his work because it is the kind of photography I always want to work on and pursuit in the future if it is possible. The works are organized carefully, well chosen and well photographed in each theme he did. His work shows the freedom of people in normal life, at different  situations such as when they play sports, go on the picnic, or party with friends. The audience to his work  would be teenagers,  young people or sports photographer who enjoys sports, happy lives and always be joyable.


This is the picture that I really love when I first look at it. It shows me the freedom of one person wants and wants to jump out of one place to reach to the goal he wants. Also, the shadow of him are bigger than his body, it shows that as much as he jumps to get freedom or his goal, the bigger chance he will get to have. Shooting this picture in this low light situation is a great idea, to show the darkness he jumps to where there is more light.

Chase Jarvis's works have inspired me so much and have more interests in kinetic, sports photography. In sports photography, it requires the photographer to be creative, fast and adapt to each situation such as photograph snowboarders in the snow, football players in the stadium ... This is the reason why I really enjoy Jarvis' work at first look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment